Year 2 Learning Themes
Click here to see our work on display in the classrooms: Year 2 Displays
Supporting your child at home: All of our learning in school can be further supported at home. Practising key skills and recalling facts little and often can be done in a fun way by accessing a range of games and apps:
http://www.ictgames.com/ (for Maths and English)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/levels/z3g4d2p (English and Maths tabs)
Homework: Thank you so much for the brilliant model houses for our Great Fire of London recreation—it was fantastic fun! As always, daily reading should be recorded in the yellow reading record and spelling practice in the green spelling book. The homework wheel will consist of a variety of activities linked to every curriculum area. Your child should complete one activity from the wheel each week. We look forward to celebrating your successes within the class! Please feel free to use your yellow reading record to share any messages and concerns so we are able to get back to you.
Spellings: Spellings can be changed on a Tuesday and Friday. Children will practise 8 sets of their given colour and once they are confident in them they will be tested in class. If they can spell the majority of the words independently they will move to the next set. If they need further practice they will have the opportunity to revisit spellings from the previous weeks. We would also ask you to encourage your child to use their spellings in sentences as part of their practice. This shows that they can really apply their learning. Reading tips! As you know we encourage reading with your child every day and here are a few tips to help your child progress:
- Please encourage the use of phonics to help your child decode unknown words (but only the unknown ones - they should be developing fluency).
- To support fluency, asking them to read their book a second time should improve your child’s sense of flow.
- If your child finds reading tricky, it is okay to take reading in turns to increase their confidence and begin to enjoy the flow of a story.
- Encourage your child to talk about the story and ensure they understand all the vocabulary used.
- Enjoy sharing stories together!!
In addition to this, this term we are really focussing on our comprehension skills. When sharing books with your child it is important to ask lots of questions (what, why, where, who etc.) in order to assess your child’s understanding of what they have read.
- Please make sure your child arrives between 8:40 and 8:50 am
- Please remember to leave a message on the absence line if your child is not well enough to come to school. All clothing should be clearly named.
- All children from Reception to Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal.
- Swimming and PE Lessons Year 2 are swimming in Term 3. Potter will swim on a Tuesday and Postgate and Picasso on a Thursday.
- Please make sure your child has a one-piece swimsuit and a towel for every session.
- Please ensure your child brings a verruca sock or goggles to swimming if they need it.
- We do PE every week so ensure your child has their named PE kit with them at the start of each week.
Please don’t hesitate to speak to us at the end of the day if you have a question/problem. If you have an urgent message for us please tell the staff on the gate as we continue to develop the independence of the children walking into class by themselves. . Many thanks for your continued support.